I've done top 10s on characters to draw, Disney Channel/Disney XD characters, and even Pokemon. Now, it's time I do Mario characters. This is my opinion ONLY.
Honorable Mentions: Daisy, The Koopalings.
10. Koopa Troopas and Goombas. These guys are only at Number 10 because of the few major roles they have played outside of being enemies. This one goes out to characters like Kooper, Goombario, Goombella, and Koops for being good characters in the Paper Mario series.
9. Mario. Mario is only on this list because I've played as him so much.
8. Shy Guy. Shy Guys are just interesting. They can either be allies, villains, or neutral jerkwagons who steal all of your coins even though you're so close to that freaking star! Sorry, I almost got ranty. Moving on!
7. Dry Bones. This is less about gameplay, and more about the story writing my siblings and I did when we were younger. And we basically gave Dry Bones a dark backstory of its own. We basically said that it was raised from the dead by Bowser's Magikoopas to build a backup army of the undead to defeat Mario and take over the Mushroom Kingdom. Ah memories.
6. Bowser. He's a huge turtle-ox-dragon who can be either a funny antihero or the greatest villain of the game, depending on the situation. And the fact that Bowser exudes this kind of swagger that amplifies his villainy or antiheroic nature adds depth to his personality, making him enjoyable the entire playthrough. His audacity is amusing and would've placed him higher on the list if not for reasons.
5. Fawful. Oh good lord, Fawful. As annoying as I find every single boss battle against him, his lines are so freaking hilarious. I've found myself calling things the "Mustard of My Doom" and "I have chortles". His writing is comedy gold, which is a shame now because of the fact that he'll most likely won't be appearing in anymore Mario and Luigi games.
4. Rosalina. Wise, kind, and beautiful, Rosalina has become one of my favorite princesses especially due to her backstory in Super Mario Galaxy. As I have mentioned before, she's the kind of person you would want to cast as the Blue Fairy in a production of Pinocchio, due to her caring nature. I haven't been able to really play as her, so I really don't have any gaming experience to give here.
3. Luigi. Between the two Mario Bros., Luigi has to be my favorite. He's sweet, timid, gentle, and just an all around nice guy. His gameplay, while not as easy as Mario's, is fun to work with because of how different it is. In fact, I like making Luigi the tank in the Mario and Luigi games, pumping up his jumping stats, BP and defense while Mario's hammer attack and speed are more focused, especially in Dream Team.
2. Princess Peach. Our leading lady is my favorite princess, even though I really like Rosalina too. Peach has just been there longer, though, so she's held a special place due to playthroughs of Super Mario 64 and Mario Party and I just find her to be so adorable and nice. It was also fun playing as her in Super Mario RPG and Super Paper Mario.
1. Yoshi. Who DIDN'T see this coming? Yes, Yoshi the Dinosaur Dragon is my favorite Mario character. Because I played with my older brother and older sister, I was always 3rd player or an observer. This also came to Super Mario World, where basically I couldn't play so I pretended to be Yoshi since he was sort of playable. And from there in spinoffs, I was always Yoshi. I also flipped when I heard a baby Yoshi joins your team in Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door.